Monday, January 23, 2006

The Campaign Trail

It's election night here and I am so afraid. I have cast my vote, but the polls are still open and I won't know what the results are until morning. I hate not knowing where I will wake up. Where will I raise my children? In a country of narrowminded fundamentalism? A swanky country club, where our leaders (the old boys) pat each other on the back and casually exchange millions of dollars of MY money? But I can't buy a membership there. Is it possible that I can raise my children in a place that is broadminded and progressive enough to fight the real fights? Education and healthcare? Brave enough to advocate for all of our members? Gay? Immigrant? Disabled? Compassionate enough to care for those who need care? The elderly, the young, the ill, the displaced, the lost? Honest enough to amend old wrongs? To sit at the table with the people of this place and to negotiate with respect and gratitude? Can we be open enough, kind enough, wise enough, free enough, loving enough, vulnerable enough and ultimately strong enough to be who we are? Can we go into this new era with hope and faith, unjaded and unhindered by the misguidance that landed us here...In limbo?

I'm afraid, of a rightwing world. Hopeful, that kindness and integrity will prevail. Determined to do what I have to do to raise my children in a place that gives them everything they deserve.I want that place to be my country, but it starts here in my home. So I brought them with me to vote tonight, and I kissed them goodnight, and tomorrow I will make them breakfast and drive them to school, and I will pick them up and ask about their day. I will listen. After supper maybe we'll play Candyland. I'll kiss them and tell them I love them 352 times before sunset and, please God, in this way, the country that they grow up in and ultimately lead will be the very place I have wished for them.

Goodnight. Godbless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home